Cleaning your home may sound like a chore and while that may be true, that’s no excuse to make it a simpler task for you to do. These top 10 house cleaning facts will change the way you look at cleaning and will make it more convenient for you.
1. Dust Sources
We all know that dust is the most common recurring cleaning problem that anyone has to face in their home. However, the source of the dust in your home may come as a huge surprise.
Only 20% of the dust in homes come from outside sources like soil - the other 80% is actually from right within your home: it’s from dead skin cells. We bet that knowing this will make you want to bring out the cleaning supplies pronto.
2. Wonder Food
The next time that you are in a cleaning emergency, you may not have to look further than your own kitchen for the solution. Lemons are a great alternative disinfectant to antibacterial sprays, so you’ll know what to do the next time you run out.
As for shoe polishing and cleaning your silver, a banana peel does a surprisingly good job of this. But if you’re dealing with rust stains or corroded brass, you just have to get the ketchup (sans fries) and start wiping. As for mayo, use it to get water stains out from wood.
Baking soda and white vinegar diluted in water are two of the best cleaning life-savers that can be found right in your kitchen. For instance, baking soda can be used to remove water spots, absorb pet stains, as well as to brighten the whites in the washing.
White vinegar with water, on the other hand, is effective against mold and mildew stains, among others. Undiluted, it can also function as a remover of musty smells inside your home. Simply put some in a plastic container and then punch some holes on the top to let it absorb the odors.
3. Substitute Floor Cleaner
If you find yourself lacking some cleaner for your floors, a cup of mouthwash mixed with a gallon of water is a good alternative. Who’d have thought, right?
4. Stay Green
As much as possible, use natural cleaning products like the ones we’ve been mentioning so far. This is because a lot of commercial cleaners are actually filled with chemicals that, while effective against dirt and bacteria, can also be toxic for humans and pets to inhale or come in contact with.
5. Refrigerator Cleaning
In a similar manner, you shouldn’t use commercial disinfectants when cleaning your fridge because the smell will stick to your food and will affect its taste. The next time you need to clean the fridge, use warm soapy water instead. It’s cheaper too!
6. Gym? What Gym?
We know you’ve been skipping the gym despite your yearly resolutions to start working out, but did you know that cleaning around your home can double as a work out? For every two hours that you spend cleaning your home, you can burn 200 calories.
So, the next time you find yourself skipping the workouts, just bring out the vacuum and kill two birds with one stone.
7. Where Bacteria Thrives
There’s no doubt that toilets can get nasty dirty, but there are other spots inside your home that can give the toilet a run for its money when it comes to being the home of harmful bacteria. For one, your kitchen sink and the other one is your computer keyboard.
So, the next time you decide to do a cleaning session in your home, pay special attention to these unassuming bacteria-ridden areas.
8. Window Cleaning
The next time the windows need cleaning, skip the paper towels and replace them with newspapers. They’re just as effective and are a whole lot cheaper than buying paper towels. And don’t worry, the ink won’t streak. In fact, it can also function as a polishing agent.
9. Common Disinfectant
A quick swipe with rubbing alcohol on a soft cloth can be enough to disinfect dirty spots in your home that you get in constant contact with like doorknobs, phones and switch plates.
10. Stinky Disposals
If a nasty odor is starting to come from your garbage disposal, some ice cubes and a cup of vinegar will get rid of it. Just drop that combo into your disposal, run for a minute and the stink will be gone.
With those facts in mind, it’s so much easier to reach out for the cleaning materials, right? Some of them are handy in motivating you to clean, while others are sure to make the task easier and far more interesting – not to mention, save you some money too!
Of course, you can also always count on Office Cleanz to get the job done for your office or workspace! Give us a call today at 3008 3586.